Class last weekend was very enjoyable and engaging for me. It was exciting to visit Urbandale Middle School. I really enjoyed listening to Lara Justman speak to us about the roles and duties of an assistant principal. We were actively engaged in leadership activities. Lara shared with us a variety of issues/situations that could arise, and procedures she follows to address those situations. She does spend alot of time focused on her job, and explained how it can be overwhelming at times.
Jason Glass was a guest speaker in our class Sunday morning. I was very eager to listen to discussions with him regarding the Iowa Blueprint. This blueprint is his vision for Iowa's Education System. He explained to us several times that this blueprint is just "a starting point". He spent around an hour discussing the blueprint and answering questions from the class. I wonder how districts across the state will/are reacting to this.
Adam Tjeerdsma was a wonderful speaker. The information that he was able to share with the class was very interesting. I felt that his interview tips will be very useful when applying and preparing for my first administrator interview. His knowledge of google docs and technology usage was also very creative. This was a great way to track behavior problems. I shared this information with my current administrator.
Overall, I feel as though I am gaining a better understanding of the leadership role vs. management role.
Michele - I agree all of the guest speakers have helped to develop my understanding of the role of management vs. leadership. Each administrator described the use of technology differently, it is important to find what works best in your building and position, google docs are an amazing tool for administrators.
ReplyDeleteMichele,
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy the speakers that come to class and they help put a real world spin on the position we are all trying to obtain. I think Lara's discussion really showed me that collaboration is key in many situations for successful outcomes.
I think our FBLA assignment is really beneficial to our future and that is nice. I am hoping that we have a discussion on the major things that can't be screwed up as an administrator. While there may not be a definitive list, there are probably similar tasks regardless of the location that are crucial to our job security.